7.07.2010

Costiera Amalfitana


Amalfi was amazing. The train ride from Roma to Napoli is an entertaining 3 hours. The 30 minute walk across Napoli to the port is loud, gritty and full of delicious pastries. 
The ferry from Napoli to Sorrento takes 30 minutes and passes by the volcano Mount Vesuvius, which is best known for the giant eruption in 47 A.D. that destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum. 




Sorrento itself is fairly flat, but the town is built atop breathtaking cliffs, so arriving by boat is partciuarly spectacular.


Bim is currently working on an archeological dig outside of Pompeii and hooked up the most amazing agrotourismo just outside of Sorrento. We had our own apartment, and access to the beautiful resturaunt overlooking the sea. 



We ate heaps of antipasti, little homeade pasta shells with real miniature clams in their shells, and tender squid in a slightly tart tomato broth. The place grows olives and citrus and makes their own oils and limoncello, among other "condiments." Two weddings happened on the property while we were there: the place was straight out of the movies.

Bim and Enrico pretended to be Robots on the lawn. Just kidding. They were actually trying to be Ralph Lauren models.





We rented a scooter. I mostly rode on the back, but drove once or twice and did a lot of posing.   
We drove from Sorrento to some smaller towns, and eventually to a rocky beach.




We hussled back to town for all four WC games and drank beers while yelling in Italain at the television screen (*brief note here: I am a complete anomoly in Italy becuase 1) I care about soccer; 2) I yell at the TV; 3) I cannot prevent myself from leaping out of my chair at the mere potential of a goal. I've grown used to the look of mild disgust and Enrico doesn't appear to be too embarssed by me). 

On our third day we traversed the penninsula and located our new hotel in Praiano, which is between Positano and Amalfi. We were lucky with our room and got a beautiful terrace overlooking the ocean. We ate delicious seafood pasta and lemon deserts in the resturaunt, and (I) jumped up and down when fireworks exploded during dinner (most likely for a wedding and NOT for Independence Day, but I'll take what I can get).


We visited the beach in Positano and were nearly baked on the hot hot rocks. 
We visited the town of Amalfi, which (I'm pretty sure) is where The Talented Mr. Ripley was filmed. Aside from an incredibly rude Gelato dealer, the town was spectacular, although a bit touristy.



We headed back to Sorrento, returned our scooter, boarded the ferry, walked back through Napoli, 


where we saw this homage to Maridonna. If you look closely, you can see his hair, captured for perpetuity, under glass...I thought this was fitting, given that it's a World Cup year. 


We boarded the train and returned to Bella Roma. Amalfi: unbelievable.

2 comments:

  1. pictures, pictures, chanting, chanting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing blog! Great photos! I spend a lot of time in Positano as a kid! Ted and I will be in Lucca Italy (near Pisa) in September. We miss you terribly in Burlington. xoxo- Alexa

    ReplyDelete