6.15.2010

roma perils

I have a lot to report (and photos to share) from my whirlwind weekend in Tuscany with Perla, but first:


For anyone who has ever wondered how the women manage their stilettos on the cobblestones: today I saw, for the first time, a woman get her long, blue heel stuck as she was crossing the street in morning rush hour traffic. Although it appeared to be wedged quite tightly between two stones, I watched her yank it out, nod at the stopped traffic and continue on. 



Crossing the street in Rome is like an extreme adventure game. There are as many motos as smarts, fiats, volvos, mercedes, small european vans, large public busses and the occasional tram, and they all race as quickly as possible around tight cobblestoned corners. 


While there are crosswalks, the Romans do not appear to gravitate to them and so crossing the streets becomes a test of fate: "do I really believe this car will stop if I walk in front of it?" I am taking my cues from the locals and striding out with confidence and so far, my will to live seems to be strong enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment