6.02.2010

chinotto

Today I paid .60EU for a small, black can of San Pellegrino Chino from the vending machine near my office at FAO (more on FAO soon, I promise!). I had no idea what Chino was, but when I popped the can I swore I was drinking Campari! The color is like coca-cola, and it's incredibly bitter with a hint of sweetness. My Italian friend tells me it's quite popular in Italy, and it turns out that Chino is actually made from the same fruit as Campari: the chinotto, a small bitter citrus fruit that grows on a tree also known as the myrtle-leaved orange.

Campari lovers: ask your favorite gourmet shop to start carrying SP Chino, and you can have your Campari fix (senza alcohol), any time of day.

2 comments:

  1. I am a huge Campari fan and am thrilled to be learning more about the origin of the drink. Is it made from chinotto and pomegranate? Maybe it gets its lovely color from the latter? If we grew some myrtle-leaved orange trees could we make Campari? Lastly, do you think there are hardy, cold-weather chinotto trees? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ben got some of this once at Eat Good Food/3 Squares!

    ReplyDelete